Saturday, October 12, 2013

Days 23-25, Berlin

Hello again folks, you'll be pleased to know that 'Muckefuck' isn't Lena's subtle way of telling me I'm getting on her nerves (at least I don't think so...). It is in fact a variety of imitation coffee (sans caffeine), on account of us abstaining from the bean for a few days. Whether or not this is a good thing when you're on tour I can't exactly say, but in addition to the vegan challenge I'm currently undertaking (day 6 of 7, still alive) my body must be a little confused... It's a good thing I have some gigs to keep the insanity at bay. In any case, the tour diet is always subject to (i) fatigue, (ii) timing and (iii) the proximity of the venue to a kebab shop. Expect a return to normal proceedings soon enough...

Berlin is a great city. I'm always impressed that it has managed to retain its relaxed European 'community' feel (I'm sure there's a better way of saying that, but it's the morning after the gig the night before and I'm just getting started for the day so that's the best I could manage...), despite being one of the world's marquee destinations, often mentioned in the same breath as London, New York, Tokyo, Sydney etc... But by contrast, the rest of those places are typically bustling, fast-paced, high energy and a perhaps a bit impersonal (Paris I think is an exception there...), whereas you can stroll through most areas of Berlin and it always retains some element of tranquility. Rarely if ever do you see anyone in suits, bicycles are the most common mode of transport, it seems people can be who they want to be, without fear of judgement... There's something for everyone. If you want to eat gluten-free Japanese food listening to the greatest hits of George Michael, there's probably some place you can get your fix. If you want to ride around on a Vesper in a mankini with bunny ears, some people might even stop and give you a high 5. And if you want to put all this crap in your window (below), well the average Australian tourist might walk past and think 'what....the....f......?!', but most Berliners won't bat an eyelid.

When I first came to Berlin 5yrs ago I think a part of me wanted to dislike it. Perhaps because of it's popularity as a 'destination' for artists/musicians etc etc. Almost like saying 'I've lived in Berlin' was some sort of a badge of honour which meant that you were cooler in some way... And maybe that's the way some people think about it, I don't know... But what I realise from being here on repeated occasions is that Berlin is popular because it is completely accepting of anyone that arrives here. Sure there are the 'cool' set, the hipsters etc etc, but then there are plenty of normal people, just like you and me, going about their business, enjoying a relaxed pace of life, not having to fight through crowds everywhere, living in a far more natural rhythm than the average major city would allow. And for that reason, despite my initial hesitation, it has over the years become one of my favourite cities to visit. I've often thought I could live here, and perhaps one day I will... But for now it's nice to pass through places that have a bit of a 'home away from home' feel, and Berlin is certainly one of those.

Just the one show here this week, which was last night at Zimmer 16 in Pankrow (north Berlin). About a thousand attempts later, I am still finding it extremely difficult to say the word '16' in German, but nonetheless I gave it a go off the bat last night and it was met with at least mild approval by the crowd in attendance, save perhaps the slightly intoxicated woman up the back who provided a rolling commentary throughout the evening, my personal favourite being 'Poo!' at the end of one of my trademark RF heartbroken love songs. She didn't actually speak English, so I'm not sure what 'poo' means in German, but either way we all had a laugh about it and I decided to play something more up-beat for the next number...

Hecklers aside, a beautiful little venue, and a dedicated live music space which is always nice. Sort of a mini-theatre vibe. Unfortunately my old friend Mari Mana wasn't able to make it due to the dreaded flu (hope you're feeling better Mari!), but I enjoyed the opportunity to play two sets of songs, and great to be able to sing a few on the piano as well, a real treat when you're on the road. A big thanks to Diana, who I recruited at short notice to sing some BV's with me on a couple of songs, including a cover of George Harrison's 'Got my mind set on you' (which incidentally has one of the most terrible yet tremendous film clips you are ever likely to see... ). It's always great to play music with new people, everyone brings their own unique energy to the stage and for a few minutes we all get to share in that, performers and audience alike. Wunderbar. Hopefully we'll get a chance to do it again some day...

Anyway that'll do me. I'm off to find a mankini. Next stop Hemlstedt. On we go.... x

No comments: