Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Day 42, Bern, Switzerland

Light switches. Why does every country have different light switches? There's a line in one of my songs somewhere that says 'help me switch the light on, help me understand'. And maybe this is the point where art imitates life. Maybe it's not as philosophical as first intended, maybe it's as simple as switching a light on in a different country. Because I don't understand. I don't understand at all. This is Switzerland's offering. It's sort of like one of the older ones in Australia, but there's a little circle round it. Why do you think they need that? And yet over in Germany most of them are big and square. I'm not sure what to expect when I get to Austria, Slovenia and Italy but one thing's for sure a world of excitement awaits. The type of excitement one can only appreciate when they've been playing gigs and living out of a suitcase for the past two months. Tally ho.

This is the view from our penthouse apartment this morning in Bern, quite spectacular really with the snow-capped peaks of the swiss alps in the background, done absolutely no justice by the average smartphone. I decided to travel with my phone only this trip and no proper camera, on account of me rarely using the proper camera when I have it. As expected, I wish I had the proper camera. Will have to figure that out a little better in the future... But photo quality aside, it's not a bad spot to play a house concert you'd have to agree. No doubt we're in one of those buildings that most of the local residents look at and think 'why did they ever build that?!', but the thing about those buildings is - it's all about perspective. When you're staying at the top of one they're fucking fantastic! A big thanks to Janine, Yvonne and the rest of the gang here. Also my old friend Sam from Sydney, who'd driven from Neuchatel* to be here. Always nice to see a familiar face on the other side of the world. (*The 'a' in Neuchatel is meant to have a little triangle on top of it. Ah European alphabets, they just can't make their mind up over here can they? Light switches are the least of their worries!)

Finally, if you caught yesterday's blog and you've put two and two together you'll realise that, being in Bern, we managed to get our car fixed in Freiburg. Well not necessarily, we might have taken a train.... But here's a picture of the mechanic counting through the tour CD sales to prove that yes, the car has been repaired. Insomuch as it is good enough to keep rolling on for a few more weeks. Just enough to play a few more gigs, see a few more views, and meet a few more cool people, like the guy below perhaps... And at the end of the day that's all you can ask for isn't it? Well, you could probably ask for some other stuff. A bit more sun. A decent flat white. A vintage Kombi. A house by the ocean maybe. But I guess some things are worth waiting for... Driving to Nuremburg today, isn't that famous for something? I'll have to look it up. See you soon x



No comments: