Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Day 33-35, Weimar/Dresden/Prague

Hi folks, sorry for the brief absence but I took a bit of a break from the interwebs over the past few days. Was planning to check in yesterday with the news from Dresden, but as it happens we were only a couple of hours drive from Prague, a city I've always wanted to visit... and given the proximity, it would have been rude not to! Certainly didn't disappoint, a real romance to it, grand old buildings, cathedrals, gothic architecture, cobbled streets, quintessentially European in many ways, extra special on a crystal clear day with the surrounding autumnal hills forming a fairly stunning backdrop... And that's before they switch all the lights on, slightly blurred perhaps by the 13% locally brewed pilsener, but still fairly spectacular nonetheless. Also got to record a little video with Michael and Meli from the Dresden-based Artist Playground, will be able to post the results of that sometime soon... A nice way to spend a Monday you'd have to say.

Sunday night in Dresden I performed at the Kukulida, a locally run venue which was part bar, part performance space, part rehearsal room, and part whatever else you'd want to do with it. Which is perhaps was why there was an old bathtub on the stage, although I'm still struggling to think of exactly what anyone would have done with that. Certainly nothing to do with having a bath, at least not if you wanted to emerge cleaner in any way... But then perhaps they left it there for slightly eccentric Australian musicians, on tour in Dresden for the first time, who for whatever reason decide that it might be a good idea to stand in the bathtub and play a song. Purely so in the future they could tell people they 'played in a bathtub in Dresden'. Sort of has a ring to it don't you think...? Well maybe, maybe not, but it was just the one song, The Birds if you were wondering, before normal service resumed, seated with guitar in hand, stomp beneath the right foot, limited selection of harmonicas available on the chair beside me. Much like I was playing at home in Australia, it's always nice when a gig feels like that. A big thanks to everyone who came along, and also to my good friend Diana, who made the trip from Berlin to join me on BV's for a few tunes... Wunderbar. (Sorry about the pic, that's the best I had....!)



Working backwards, day 33 also happened there somewhere, in Weimar, but I was struck down by a severe bout of caffeine withdrawal, on account of me abstaining over here for a little while. Why you'd choose do that in the middle of a tour is beyond me, but there you go... And you know sometimes it good to try things. Which is why I was singing a song in a bathtub. And why I drove to Prague. In fact it's why I do a lot of things. It's why I started music in the first place. Whatever happens, it's always worth it...

Off to Leipzig. See you soon... x

PS - Sorry a final thanks to our hosts here in Dresden - Robert and Katya - you can check out some of their work here. Great meeting creative people in different parts of the world! Also they have an amazing apartment. Here's the view... Alright!

No comments: