Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Weekly... Volume 24

Hello subscribers. All three of you. How are you? Good to hear! (I am guessing there, but hey it’s Christmas so I figure you’re probably doing pretty well. Being silly season and all…). A few days late courtesy of the show on Sunday night, but you know what they say about late vs never. And I am a big believer in that theory. This may have something to do with the fact that I am often slightly behind schedule... Not always in a "fashionable" way either. But I am working on it...

Coming at you from the Internet Cafe in Manly. I am yet to get the internet connected in my new place here. I am wondering if I really need it? Maybe I can just get by on wireless hot spots and internet cafes. That would be a lot cheaper... And you get to meet more backpackers. AND they give you free frisbees. Seriously - I got one the other day.

First things first – a huge thanks to everyone who came along on Sunday night to the Christmas spectacular spectacular. We had a great time, and there were moments in the set where I thought the band sounded as good as we have together all year. So hats off to everyone who was involved – a nice one for the last band show of 2008. Special thanks also to Liz on the Viola, who my brother recruited the night before whilst slightly intoxicated – turns out she could really play!

Not to be forgotten – Brett, Felix and the Stringettes – wonderful to do another show with you.

And Holly Austin you are a genius.

Happy to report also that we had a nice little collection of goodies to give to the Smith Family yesterday. I managed to find the “Base Camp” in Homebush, which is not the nicest drive from Manly it has to be said, but compared to what some people are up against at Christmas, I suppose a few cars on Military Road is hardly something to complain about. Thanks to all of you who put presents under our little tree at the Excelsior - it was a wonderful display of generosity. In case you were wondering, by Grandparents raised over $500 by selling raffle tickets for one of my grandfather’s paintings. That money also goes to the Smith Family, so it’s nice to know we’ve all played a small part in helping a few less fortunate folks. I spent some time with the Volunteers yesterday out at Homebush and seeing the amount of presents that had been donated around NSW was quite amazing. It seems the spirit of giving is well and truly in the air.

A bit of a break for me on the run-in to Christmas, but then I am down the South Coast for a couple of shows before heading up to the Peats Ridge Festival. Such a great lineup – can’t wait to settle in there for a few days and take it all in.

It's an interesting little period I am going through at the moment – the word “transition” springs to mind, but I won’t bore you with clichés. It hasn't been easy to settle back in here after my travelling this year, but I was reminded on Sunday night about the healing powers of music. I hit the stage feeling pretty stressed and left it feeling more or less at ease. A bit more than just the post-gig glow, more a feeling of contentment that at the end of the day, no matter what is going on in my life, I'll always have my songs. And I am not one to get all spiritual and touchy-feely on you, but I do believe that the creative process can be a very powerful thing as long as it's not neglected. Mental note taken...

Anyway after a very busy year of tours, tours and more tours, it might be time to take a little breather so I can actually get this new album finished. Rest assured however, there’ll still be enough going on to operate this rambling blog of mine for a while yet.

Merry Christmas to you all. Make sure you eat a lot. That is the whole point. You can worry about the spare tyre next year… On your way to the Peats Ridge Festival. Then you can add to it with some home made Gozleme. That's what I'll be doing.

Cheers for now.


Renny

No comments: