Monday, December 15, 2008

The Weekly... Volume 23

OK so I counted back - we have returned to the Numerical system. This means that I am going to write one of these things once a week again - that was sort of the point when I started it up (hence the title...).

Anyway the week that was - another trip out to Bathurst for a show at the Kings Hotel. I really must thank Angus and the team out there for making us feel so welcome each time we go out. Normally I do a little Drums / Acoustic show with my brother, but this time around it was Han Solo. For some reason, the last three trips to Bathurst I have had to drive through the Central West version of Cyclone Tracy just to get there. Let me tell you - by yourself in a 1986 Toyota Corona, this is NOT cool. Even if you have 2 new tyres. Good thing it doesn't leak like my Old Dual sun-roof Tarago touring van. Is someone trying to test me? Trying to see if I REALLY want to be a musician? Do I REALLY want to put up with a 3hr drive to Bathurst through a Monsoon on a Friday night? (you see it changed from a Cyclone - I am working on my storytelling...). Well the answer to all those questions is YES - and whoever is testing me can keep doing it, because I ain't giving up that easily.

Closer to home, I had a couple of shows in Manly this week. My first 2 shows in Manly as a Manly resident! This is exciting. If I could get 5 gigs a week in Manly, then I'd never have to go anywhere. (But I'd still go to Bathurst of course... ).

I am keeping this Blog brief, because it's my "Get started again" blog, so it'll take a few weeks to get back my full blog fitness. I'll leave you with this one little story / rant.

Earlier this week, I was moving some more of my things to my new place. It was Monday, it was getting late, and I still hadn't had any dinner. So against my better judgment I stopped at the old faithful late night Indian diner on Oxford Street. God knows if the food is actually "Food" as we know it, but a bit of Rice and Naan bread is at least enough to keep the hunger pains at bay. I noticed a guy about 10m up the street doing some busking - in fact he was playing some old Elton john tunes on the piano, which I thought was pretty cool. Doing a great job of it to.

Well that's what I thought anyway - it turns out it wasn't cool at all. I had only just sat down outside to eat my dinner when the local rangers turned up to tell the guy to pack up and move on.

Why? Who was he bothering?

I couldn't quite believe it. Sure it was a Monday, but this guy was playing pleasant piano music. Nothing offensive, and certainly not as loud as the Buses that kept gong past every 2 or 3 minutes. Yes for some reason, the Rangers had to come and shut him up. Apparently someone had made a complaint... More likely it was a Monday, they were bored, so they decided to pick on someone. Just because they could. And they seem to like easy targets.

Oxford street is meant to be one of the all night "Strips" in Sydney. Even on a Monday, there are bars open most of the night. What on earth is wrong with a guy playing Piano on the footpath? The problem here is that it wouldn't have mattered where this bloke set up, he would have been cut off anywhere in the city... It's seems such a trivial thing to get upset about, but I was pissed off. If art and music is not allowed to exist at that most basic grass roots level, then what hope is there of it ever gaining a reasonable footing?

On my way to Bathurst I heard a guy call in on talkback radio to suggest that people go and check out some live music on a Friday night. The host, a fairly prominent media personality, asked the caller "Is there still live music in Sydney?".

It might have been said in jest, but it's hardly a laughing matter...

Sorry to drag that one down like that, but occasionally I think a mini-rant is in order.

Why not check out a gig somewhere this week - you might just enjoy it. I can think of at least one option...

SUN 21 DECEMBER.
THE CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR SPECTACULAR.
More Spectacular than your avergage Spectacular.
RENNY FIELD BAND
Supported by Brett Winterford.
Plus a Mystery Guest!
Bring a kids present for the Smith Family!
Plus raffles and more!
The Excelsior Surry Hills.
64 Foveax Street.
Doors open 5pm. Tix $10.

But hey - there are plenty of venues, and plenty of bands.

Get amongst it folks. It's Christmas.

And if you see a guy playing Elton John on Piano, give him a few bucks!

See you soon

No comments: