Tuesday, November 10, 2009

THE ARENA Part 14 - Flying

Well you'll have to forgive me - I am a couple of days late with this update. There was an album launch on Sunday from memory, then my car was stolen in Canberra on Monday night, and now I am in a cafe in the Dandenong Ranges just outside of Melbourne having played a show to approximately 5 people last night (not including the sound guy). But more on all that later.

So .... Flying....

This was a song I wrote when I first bought the studio equipment that would eventually record the bulk of the album. When I first bought it, I'll be honest, I had absolutely no idea how it worked... It was a bunch of buttons and knobs and cables and really the enormity of what I was trying to achieve really hit home. Right from the start, I bought the gear with the intention of making an album, but for the first few months I really wasn't sure that would ever happen. Most of the time it sat there gathering dust whilst I created excuses and found a whole bunch of other things to do with my time. On one of the few occasions I did get it up and running, I wrote "Flying".

Perhaps I owe the biggest thanks for this song to my flatmate at the time, who often bugged me about trying to write a "soft" song. Wind the clock back a couple of years, and I really hadn't developed the art of singing softly. A lot of my songs were built around a performance element, and therefore most of the time I was singing louder that I probably needed to. Trying too hard. Flying was perhaps the first time I had consciously made a decision to try and sing within myself. In fact, I HAD to sing within myself because every time I tried to sing louder the microphone would distort! (I really had no idea what I was doing....). So by a combination of choice and necessity, Flying came together on a rainy afternoon when I had a few hours to kill in my house in Surry Hills. I didn't know it at the time, but the end result was a song that fits perfectly at the end of the album - there is a real sense of closure about it. At least there is for me anyway. And after the amount of time and effort it took to put this thing together, I think a bit of quiet reflection was needed...

Hope you have enjoyed the album preview series. It's now officially released, so you can grab yourself a copy if you're feeling crazy!!

You could even buy one off that bloke in Canberra that stole my car. He has a box of my albums too.... Shame.

Cheers,

Renny

--------------------

FLYING



We’re all waiting for something else, but the best of what we need’s already here.

We’re all standing beneath the shelter, but that don’t make the rain disappear.



Oh my Lord I’m flying, so high up above the sea.

Oh the sun is shining, shining down over me.


We’re all waiting for something else,

but we got all the bells and whistles that we need here.

We can hide out underneath the shelter, but it sure won’t make the rain ease.

No it won’t make the rain disappear.



Oh my lord I’m flying, so high up above the sea.

Oh the sun is shining, shining down over me.

Oh my lord I’m flying, so far up above the sea.

Oh the sun is watching, watching down over me.



Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Whistling, Glock – Renny.

No comments: