Monday, June 16, 2008

The Weekly... Volume 11

And the Weekly returns! I think I am far more excited about this than anyone else would be, but only because it represents a return to some sort of discipline in my life now that I am back home instead of riding round Thailand trying to dodge potholes on my Moped...

Moving on, a big thanks to everyone who has been coming along to The Excelsior. We've been getting some pretty nice turnouts all things considered. (By "All things" I obviously mean the fact that it is FREEZING and wet). Good thing I am going to London soon! Ha. Anyway, we've had a couple of great nights, and we've got two more to go, so if you're in the Sydney area and feel like stopping by then I reckon you could do worse. This week (Wed 18th) is a solo show. I am playing with Fergus Brown, Rubi & Jude and Justine Martin. Tix are $10 at the door. Bonza.

Where did Bonza come from? Someone used to say it on the TV... Peter Russell Clarke? No that was Come and Get it... But maybe he said Bonza as well. Where was I?

Last night was a late notice show at one of the newest venues in town (3 days old in fact!) - The Kings Cross Hotel. You know that old place opposite the Coke sign... scary place... nasty place... Anyway things have changed. Go and check it out - 5 levels, fully refurbished! Get in before the cover charge... You know there'll be a cover charge... that's what happens these days.... Not that I can say for sure of course, but i did see a significant number of blokes standing round in trench-coats eying off clipboards full of guest lists. Who are the people on those guest lists anyway? Certainly not me - good thing I learned how to sing and play guitar....

Today some friends of mine had a Spaghettata. This is an Italian tradition where everyone gathers to eat Pasta for a few hours in the house / back yard. The fact that sleet was falling was no deterrent - it was a famous Spaghettata! (Possibly helped by the fact that one of these aforementioned friends owns an Italian restaurant). Personally I think I'll stick to the old fashioned Aussie BBQ for the time being, but you know one day I might be brave enough to attempt a Spaghettata. I just won't invite anyone I am trying to impress. (Although I do fancy myself in the Bolognaise stakes....).

Did I mention the Excelsior this Wednesday? They serve Spaghetti.

In other music news, more recording to be done this week - including a very special guest on lap steel for the song "Exploring". Can't wait to see how it turns out.

AND... That'll do me for now... The Weekly did return yes, but once again it is being typed after midnight on a Sunday night... Which is not the best time for ideas. At least not this particular Sunday night anyway.

Cheers for now,

Renny

PS - For all the latest European tour dates, check out the GiGS section on my home page.

PPS - A great friend of mine Bridget A'Beckett is playing a show at The Basement in Sydney this Tuesday night (17th June). Well worth a look if you're free - will be a great night. Beautiful voice, beautiful songs. Tix available at www.thebasement.com.au

PPPS - Go the Socceroos!

No comments: