Monday, May 12, 2008

The Weekly... Volume 8

Well as fate would have it, Shane Warne just walked in to bat for the Rajasthan Royals cricket team in the Indian Premier League. Not that this has anything to do with the blog, but you see each night here in Thailand I get home from my gig and put the TV on to see what's happening in the world. And more often than not, there is a cricket match finishing in India. So there you go - a snapshot of my life at the moment... At this very second in fact.... By the time I finish this, the match will be over... I'll let you know who won.

Right now I am about a third of the way through my contract here in Phuket... Starting to get in the groove a bit more now. The 4-hour sets are pretty tough going, but the voice is coping a bit better. In fact, tonight was my last of 6 nights in a row. I get tomorrow off, then back into another 6 straight. I think on average I am playing to around 4-6 people at the bar (Notwithstanding the occasional busy night where there are 30-40). Can be a bit tragic, but I am getting to meet some cool people which is great. I was saying to someone the other day - that is my favourite part about travelling - meeting new people. Especially when you are travelling alone. Because you're forced into a situation where you have to make an effort, and I think we forget to make an effort when we are in our familiar surrounds. Will this change the way I do things when I get home? I hope so...

Phuket itself is an interesting sort of place. My trusty moped (a lot more "trusty" now that I have upgraded to a newer model) has taken me back and forth around the Island. A trip on a Moped around Phuket is not without it's hair-raising moments I might add, but I am cautious you see... very cautious...

I have lost count of the number of times I have seen a balding overweight 65yo man with a giggling 18-yo Thai girl. There is something very wrong with that picture yes. There is something worse about seeing it in real life. But that sort of thing is very normal here. And the 18yo's are not always girls either. Bizarre...

The weather has been a bit suspect, but I am getting used to that. And I think I have discovered a pattern - it only ever rains if I am thinking about going somewhere on the moped, or if I am about to walk down to the beach club for my gig. I can't tell you the number of times I have been 20-30mins away from the hotel and had the heavens open just as I begin to make my way back. If only there was a way of getting some footage on youtube - I really must look stupid heading into the teeth of a howling gale with my hand trying to create some mock visor on the front of my helmet in a pathetic attempt to keep the rain out of my eyes...

In other news, a few more dates being booked in for Europe which is great. It's a slow process, but I'm getting there. I say again, if anyone has any ideas for me, feel free to let me know. I am quickly discovering how difficult it can be to book a tour independently from the other side of the world. But it'll be worth the trouble! Can't wait.

Wouldn't you know it, Shane Warne and his team just won the match.

And I am rambling. Yes this has been a good ramble.

Adios

No comments: