Monday, May 26, 2008

The not-so-Weekly... Volume 9

Greetings from Thailand, where there is one week left in my solo residency at the Twin Palms Hotel. At least there should have been one week left, but the hotel has decided that with the installation of a new sound system in the Catch Club (the venue where I was playing...), I would no longer be required. Ordinarily this may have been somewhat disappointing, however in this case the hotel has kindly offered to have me stay on for the full duration of my contract - which as far as I can tell means a free week in Phuket! So I suppose it's like a redundancy payment of sorts... works for me....

BEFORE I GO ON, CHECK THIS OUT

EVERY WEDNESDAY IN JUNE -

RENNY FIELD BAND RESIDENCY @ THE EXCELSIOR HOTEL, SURRY HILLS

Wed 4/6 - With Move Trees and Kitch

Wed 11/6 - With The Mules, Sarah Bird and Ruby for Lucy

Wed 18/6 - Special Acoustic Show With Fergus Brown and Rubi & Jude

Wed 25/6 - With The Falls, Sarah Humphreys and Cookie Baker.

Music from 8pm each week - Tix just $10 at the door. And great food at the pub!

The Excelsior - 64 Foveaux Street, Surry Hills

--------------------------------------


So those of you who noticed the absence of "the weekly" last week will understand when I tell you that my brother was visiting... and a holiday at his pace leaves very little time for blogs on myspace. Talk about hitting it with full steam! Interestingly enough, full steam also included a full-on case of the Delhi Belly, or as we will refer to it in this case - the Pewk-et. Which was a shame for him, but more of a shame for his older brother who must have caught the damn thing just before he left. The last two days here have been far less exciting than the previous week I can tell you. A knock-out punch - haven't been able to move. The typing of this blog is about as active as I can be right now... bugger me! Signs are good for tomorrow though - I can feel a recovery of sorts coming on.

But Blogs are for stories my friends, and the stories of the "Pewk-ets" don't really count. So why don't I tell you about a world famous Ping Pong show which we chanced upon the other night. You see this is the type of thing you do when you have a night off... if you're in Thailand, it's one of the boxes you have to tick - consider it the Thai version of Niagra Falls, or Ayers Rock, or the Eiffel Tower for that matter. And I had been warned about these shows, but it turns out Ping Pong balls are just the tip of the iceberg - we had darts, trumpets, and a live chicken. Yes, a live chicken. I'll leave that one to your imagination, but suffice it to say when you see the woman in question walking round the main street the next day with her one year-old child slung over her shoulder, one wonders what sort of childhood is in store for the little tyke. Hmmm..... Won't be able to get that trumpet solo out of my head for a good while either... Spectacular.

Other highlights in the past week have been a pretty impressive Canoe Trip to Phang-nga, a wild goose chase in the middle of the night which involved a trip down the worst road imaginable to a private beach party which did not exist (long story...), and BARGAINS! Yep - took me a while to get through the incredible amounts of imitation diesel t-shirts, but I've found the hot spots, and I have no idea what I am going to do on the way home because I had already exceeded the excess baggage limit on the way here. Time for the cull!

In other news, the European tour is ticking along nicely - a few shows keep popping up each week, so things are looking good. Looking forward to getting over there!! Won't say much more, just keep an eye on the gigs, and send me an email if you're over there somewhere and you want me to try and stop in.. Cool.

See you next week - where the weekly will once again re-appear as the weekly.

Signing off for now.

Renny

No comments: