Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Autumn Express, March 2014...



Don't you just love Autumn? The changing light, that smell in the air, the brisk mornings, clear days, it's a great time of the year to be touring in Australia, particularly when you've just survived a scorching summer in a car with no air-conditioning. Not that I'm complaining of course, I've had some wonderful experiences these past few months. Some great gigs, some not quite so great, some neither here nor there, but all of them rewarding in some way, even if just to add another story to the collection. One in particular which I've been enjoying recounting where the pub emptied out around 10pm, at which point the manager on duty decided to stack all the chairs on the tables then retreat to the bar to watch the cricket. Which meant I played my final set for the evening to a room full of stacked chairs. But not just that, there was also one of those old skill tester machines - you know the ones where you control the claw and lower it in the right place to (hopefully) collect a stupid soft toy you're never going to use? Only this one was a Simpsons variety, so it was stocked with Simpsons figurines, cheap watches and the like, and every five minutes or so I would hear Homer's voice, bellowing out some pearl of wisdom like "I don't know Marge". And I thought that was a bit ridiculous, playing to a room full of stacked chairs and and Homer Simpson. The professional in me wonders if I should even tell you about gigs like that, but then again that's part of my story, just as much as any other gig I've played.

The photo above is from a couple of years ago at 'Melodica on the Beach' in Boltenhagen, on the north coast of Germany. I got a chance to play a few tunes with a local pedal steel player, Olic Samlaus, which was a real treat. Travelling alone most of the time as I do, it's not often I get a chance to collaborate with other people, and this I remember as being a real highlight. The pedal steel is notoriously difficult to master, but Olic had such a wonderful sensitivity towards the music he was playing, no matter who he joined throughout the day. Of course it has nothing to do with the Autumn in Australia, but I'm writing this email at an internet cafe in Bali and after browsing the web for a fitting image to accompany this email, this was the best I could find. I did also have a nice picture of Avalon Beach, but I think I used a beach last time. I tend to see a lot of beaches. Again, I'm not complaining.

Anyways you know the drill - gigs down below. Come say hi if you can. Send me an email any time, I'll be here. Or there. Or somewhere in between. Catch you soon,

Renny x


THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

A special mention of Friday night's show at the music lounge in Brookvale. A beautiful new venue on Sydney's Northern Beaches, and a dedicated listening environment in the spirit of The Manly Fig, The Shack et al. Tickets can be booked in advance on the website, and it's BYO everything - food, drinks, whatever's gonna keep you in good spirits for roughly 3hrs of great live music. I'm sharing the bill with Larissa Mackay and Natalie Magee - for info and tickets, you can try this link. They've even got a picture of me without a hat on!

theacousticpicnic.com


TOUR DATES 2014

FRI 14TH MARCH
The Acoustic Picnic @ The Music Lounge
Brookvale, Sydney
Doors 7pm. Tix & Info:
http://theacousticpicnic.com/

SUN 16TH MARCH
Gosford Sailing Club
Free Entry, 2-5pm.

THURS 20TH MARCH
The Goulburn Club, NSW
Entry by donation. 8pm.
www.goulburnclub.com.au

FRI 21ST MARCH
Kings Hotel, Bathurst
Free entry, 8-11pm.

SAT 22ND MARCH
Oriental Hotel, Mudgee
Free entry, 8-11pm.

SUN 23RD MARCH
Tarana Hotel
Free entry, 12-4pm.

SUN 30TH MARCH
Garden Concert, Avalon Beach
Entry by invitation, email for more info:
renny@rennyfield.com
Donation, 1pm.

SAT 5TH APRIL
The Schack, Narrabeen
$20, Doors 7pm
www.shackfolk.com
Supporting Rory McLeod

SUN 6TH APRIL
Huskisson Pub
Free entry, 4-7pm.

THURS 10TH APRIL
High Tea, Sydney
Entry via Faecbook, or email:
renny@rennyfield.com
With 'Once upon a Rooftop'(Germany)

SUN 13th APRIL
Tall Timbers, Ourimbah
Free entry, 4-7pm.

THURS 17TH APRIL
Dapto Hotel
Free entry, 8-11pm

FRI 18TH APRIL
Culburra Bowlo
Free entry, 7-11pm

SAT 19TH APRIL
Tathra Hotel
Free entry, 8-11pm

SUN 20TH APRIL
Mollymook Golf Club
Free entry, 8-11pm

Keep an eye on the website for updates:

www.rennyfield.com

Or street corners for busking...

Over and out x

No comments: