Saturday, August 14, 2004

USA Tour Part 4 - Midwest Music Summit

So the time had arrived – the reason for this fairly extravagant adventure that I was on. The Mid-West Music summit. 270 bands and artists in some 30 different venues over the course of three days. Coming all the way from Australia on the strength of a CD which was recorded about two months after I first started playing originals music, I wasn’t sure what to expect. And in reality I was still relatively new at the solo gig thing – most of the stuff back home had been with the band apart from a few low-key spots just before I left. Anyway, I was there, and I had a couple of gigs booked in the showcase, so what the hey I was going to blast away and see what happened!



My congratulations must go to the team at Benchmark recordings who started this annual event 4 years ago. The logistics of so many bands, so much music; so many venues – I can’t even begin to imagine. They were up till 3 or 4 in the morning most nights in the weeks leading up to it, so hats off to everyone there, because it really was an incredible effort.



Over the course of three days, I got to see some incredible acts, meet some great people, and eat some of the States’ finest fast food delicacies. Three years ago, I had done a ski season in Mammoth California, and a friend who worked with me there came up to visit with a mate of his, so it was good to hang out with some people I knew. Found out that in fact the Oils had been through the place a few years ago, and more recently Powderfinger and Sleepy Jackson, so good to be able to talk Aussie music with a few people. Interesting to note I was the only foreign artist playing at the summit – a few people a bit intrigued by my coming so far, but given the opportunity, it was worth my while to go and check it all out.



I noted in the program that there was an open Mic of some sort running at one of the pubs on the main Street – “Dick’s Bodacious BBQ” (Yes, you read that correctly – in fact I even had some “Bodacious” smoked meat for lunch one day). As far as gigs go, probably wasn’t the grandest I have ever played. Thought I’d try my luck there at 10pm on the first night – I walked in and there were about 4 people in the room – two who were running the stage, one who was behind the bar, and one who was playing. Stage was facing the Soda machine, so you didn’t really play to anyone in particular, just an empty counter – I guess the occasional show of interest from the person behind the counter, but that’s only when she was standing at the Soda machine, and then her view was obscured by the people waiting for their soda (backs facing the stage of course…). Still I thought, a spot at “Dick’s Bodacious BBQ” would surely look good on the CV in a few years time. Or perhaps not… Nonetheless, chalk up a hit for the team.



Days one and two were pretty much spent taking in as many different bands as possible. The summit also had a number of panels/seminars, which provided an interesting insight into the business side of things from people who were involved in labels/radio stations/record stores etc. This was one of the main reasons I attended the summit – a great opportunity to learn a bit more about how everything works, and I haven’t come across any similar events down here in Australia.



Come Saturday 14th, I was ready to go. Gathering up my things, I set out for the Glendale Mall – venue for my first gig. Typically, and in true Renny Field tradition, I was running late and was forced to hitch a ride out to the mall with my gear. Fortunately I found someone understanding enough to let me jump in his car in a mad state – my brother would attest to the fact that I am often a bit irrational when time is running out and I am cutting it fine for a gig.



Now as far as gigs go, the old shopping mall thing probably doesn’t have a large appeal initially. Having said that, the organizers had arranged for my set to start directly after the A&R seminar, which was also being held at the shopping mall, so in theory this gig had potential. Fortunately the obligatory pre-gig beer was made available by the guys on the sound desk, and then another as well cleverly disguised in a café latte Styrofoam cup which was on hand for the duration of the set. Felt right at home.



As I played, there were a few people drifting through from time to time, but what I was realizing about the summit was that, although it was a fantastic opportunity, there was just literally so many acts that it difficult to compete for attention. Indeed, shortly after my set, I wandered into another venue in the mall (The House) and watched a superb band with a tight set and some great songs playing to about 10 people in a large room. This was not uncommon, and having talked to a few other people about this type of event, that is pretty much par for the course. Not necessarily a bad thing, but interesting that it is really far more a networking opportunity than anything else. Being from Australia, it was difficult for me to take full advantage of that side of things purely because I wasn’t really going to be around for that long.



Anyway, the gig went pretty well, and a good response from those who heard it. I had actually met someone from New York earlier in the conference who came out to watch the show, and subsequently managed to get me a gig at the prestigious CBGB’s lounge in Manhattan – thanks a lot LIZ you are a legend I owe you more drinks next time I am over there!!!! – but more on that later. Case in point there – the networking thing. Exactly the same back here – more about who you know really, which is a shame but if you’re going to be in the business then I guess you have to learn to play like everyone else.



Time for a quick tour of the downtown Indianapolis with Andy and Chuck before heading back to The Ripple for that night’s gig. Set to perform at the Red Room with a few of the more well-known local and US-based artists, I was looking forward to the show. In terms of numbers, it was a great night. Sadly though the room had been rented out for a birthday party earlier in the evening (surprise party actually – guess who walked in inadvertently and was greeted by hundreds of people who thought I was the guest of honour – for a moment felt like a rock star, then shortly after a moron…), which meant that by the time the music started (all acoustic solo singer-songwriters), everyone was well and truly on their way, and the party was, literally, “roaring”. So not the best setting for the acoustic genre, but we played nonetheless, and I even managed to sell a few CD’s - nice of the people there to show their support for this Aussie battler…Cheers!



And after hopping around to a few other gigs later that evening, the Mid-west Music Summit had drawn to a close. All in all a great experience, and one which I would like to repeat with the band. Faced with the opportunity again though, I would spend some more time in the lead-up trying to generate a bit of interest outside of the event program etc, as well as try to arrange a short tour of the surrounding states – due to population, there are far more touring opportunities over there than back here, and you can get it sorted out independently if you plan it well. The Australian thing could probably help the cause, but people have to be made aware of it in the first place. All these things I have learned I wouldn’t know about unless I went over there and gave it a go, so very happy that I did. As I said earlier, managed to meet some great people and the funny thing with Music is that you just never know what might happen further down the track and how certain things might end up helping you. Based on that theory I would have to give the whole thing a big thumbs up!

No comments: